Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Placement: Founded - Summary






I was quite apprehensive about my placement, as contact with the Founded had been through email, and the emails received were very short, and to the point. They felt very formal and almost like emailing me was a hassle, I was asked to email them to 'Remind them that I was doing a placement with them' a week before I started, which didn't make me feel great.

When I turned up, they didn't have a clue why I was there, I had to tell them I was doing a placement. This lack of communication meant nothing was prepared for me. This made me question whether they had looked at my website to see the type of work I do, to know what would be best to give me.

The guys who worked there were great, I really got on with them and they tried their best to provide me suitable work, they found a print identity brief they thought would be suitable, but when the 'boss' turned up he had other ideas and just emailed me a very short brief for a motorhomes website and identity. I spent all day doing it, waiting for feedback and not really getting any. The following, the work I did was put aside while someone else constructed the site, it made me feel pretty useless and a day of my placement had been wasted.

After this brief they had nothing else for me, so I set about doing my own work, after talking to one of the colleagues he advised me on a book cover brief, spending a good hour talking to me about the importance of type and grid alongside image. I really appreciated the advice he gave me and spent the next two days designing the image and type for a penguin front cover competition brief; 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'. 

Overall the placement was somewhat useful but the lack of communication really hindered the work that would be given to me. The help from Anthony was most useful, he made me realise that third year I really need to concentrate on improving my type skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment