What is being communicated and how?
For my brief, I was given the word freeze. The obvious response deals with temperature. I decided to take a more indirect approach, dealing with nature in the process of freezing, the life to death process which occurs and in hindsight desaturates as it looses life. I communicated these idea's through the stiffening and unravelling of a font created by the combination of existing typefaces. The curly font begins to unravel, and with each sequence, it's frost like colour and appearance begin to desaturate in vibrancy of colour and become less defined. To support my idea's i chose to freeze printouts of my final designs into ice cubes to really portray the word 'freeze'.
How well does this answer the brief?
Initially i felt my idea's had been communicated well, but within the crit, it was clear it wasn't so. This was down to the final presentation of my letterforms within the ice and the quality of my images.
How well has the idea been visually explored?
I did a lot of experimentation of materials within sketchbooks. Also creating my own font using existing letterforms and combining elements i felt would fit the brief at hand. With all of this I explored all my idea's visually, using mind maps to explore in depth the meaning of words, to develop yet more idea's.
What are the strengths of the resolution?
I felt the final presentation of my work was a good and benefitted my project. I felt my own creation of the combination of existing fonts worked well within the brief complimented by my initial idea's.
How could it be improved?
Although i liked the presentation of my final piece, it wasn't clear to others of what i was trying to achieve, or the process in which i was trying to reflect. This was down to the use of ice, and my poor photography skills at the time. To improve my work, i would present it in a much clearer way.
Monday, 4 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment