NAME : Stephanie Lawson
BLOG ADDRESS : sl-lawson1013.blogspot.com
What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
The initial research task meant we had to find a range of ways to collect data, to think outside the box in some cases to be able to record it. Trying to research more in depth than I possibly would have done, in previous briefs, I developed a variety of ways to collect and approach researching methods. I felt I was more confident in doing so too, primary research I always felt a bit awkward doing, and tried to avoid it. With this brief I embraced the personal information you could gain from just asking people a few questions, and found it most useful. This really helped with my final outcome's, most so in collection 100 as my product was personal to my target audience. Also learning how to categorise my research has been most useful within this brief. By doing so, I could give products order without having to sift through data collected, I was able to just find it due to organisation.
I also believe my hand crafting skills have come into their own, learning from many of my mistakes in the process. Thinking of ways in which your products could be crafted to take a potential form I found really interesting, and by researching you could find product to engage with your own original idea's.
My printing and set up knowledge was seriously poor before this module, but, as a result of mass printing credit waste, I learned the hard way. By communicating with computer staff, I was able to learn how to print a perfect double sided page, knowing how to adjust layout, in regard to rotating and having to flip designs so things line up perfectly. This skill I feel was so important in the result of my collection 100, it gave my final outcome a realistic and professional finish which I had not managed to create until a week before the deadline. It's nice to see your work, actually working.
What approaches to methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I feel I have really researched in depth, and not for it to just stop as we started designing, but to carry on researching through the process to gain a deeper understanding of audience, product and context. I feel I have been more experiemental within this module, to see what works and what doesn't I would just design, re-design and re-design again, by doing so gaining an understanding of colour palette, scale and layout. So, really, my own research, within my own designs.
What strengths can you identify in your work and how/will you capitalise on these?
I feel I managed my time greatly, more than I previously would have thought possible. Every week I would have a new idea, and within a couple of days I had produced several strong designs, so design development became a strong element within my works, as I'd done so much of it. Also the use of workshops within the module became a great resource in the creation of final outcomes. What I learned from the book workshop really came in handy when producing my book within collection 100. What I did learn from the moving image workshop, I believe will come in so useful for forth coming modules. Any further workshops I will definitely be sure to attend, take down several notes and possibly attend drop ins hoping to apply skills I've learnt to my designs.
What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I think not identifying the main problem (for example, the what if brief), was an issue, as a lot of time would be wasted, meaning time management became difficult. I sometimes made designs and my approaches far to complicated and I just needed to keep my idea's simple for them to be most effective. So not finding the final design solution immediately was frustrating, but I learnt a lot from it, so I don't feel it was in any sense, a waste of time.
Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
What I have learnt from this module, I want to take away and apply to others. Firstly my new time management skills, writing 'to do' lists kept me in line of what needed done and by when, it helps so much with deadlines. Secondly, asking for help. If I'd asked for help before frustratingly wasting my print credit, I could have avoided the loss. Another thing I would do differently would be to try and keep idea's simple, by doing so I could save myself time and possible self pity when told in a crit to do so. Fourth, I would try and identify the main problem to find a solution to by asking for more feedback and opinions before the end of week crit, it will save me time, and means I can start the design process. Fifth, I would plan my research methods a long time before doing them, Although I feel I researched well, it would mean a more structured way to do it, regarding time management.
How would you grade yourself on the following area's:
Attendance : 4
Punctuality : 4
Motivation : 5
Commitment : 4
Quantity of work produced : 4
Quality of work produced : 4
Contribution to the group : 5
Sunday, 13 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment