Monday, 16 May 2011

A bit of a reflection...

Throughout this course I have felt a little behind in skills and knowledge, due to my lack of experience within graphic design, feeling slightly young and naive with my peers. I came straight from A-level, very few did. I was warned, when interviewed my first few months would be a little difficult, Lorenzo was too right! I didn't feel I was good enough for the course, looking over others works thinking "Jesus Christ, I could never do something like that." I trundled through the first module feeling I lacked in skill and imagination, but when I got my first module grading of a 2:1, it was a much needed uplift. Instead of envying my peers, i've gained much advice, opinion and skill. Everyone comes from a different background, in that people have come from all over Britain, a wide range of courses, and a variation of age within our course too. 


I do somewhat feel I have learned more from my peers than the tutors and course could ever give me, due to the 'closeness' you have with people within your course. The size factor of students within our course is a main contributor to this too, everyone knows everyones.


I do sometimes have my beginners lows, especially when my 2nd module grading was a 2:2, everyone around me seemed to be getting a 1st. But i feel I took the initiative in arranging a little chat with Amber dearest who helped break down my grade, showing me I didn't do too badly. She pointed out my weaknesses, which weren't so obvious to be at the time. This really helped understand what I needed to do next time, I simply wasn't writing enough, reflecting and experimenting with scale. I certainly feel I have worked on these weaknesses for the last module, wanting to learn from my mistakes!


I feel I have improved so much within this year; more than I could imagine. By asking the right questions, using facilities available within the college to your advantage, asking 'why?' to everything you do! But speaking to my peers has been the most useful tool, they give you an honest opinion on your work...no matter how harsh.


It's pretty exciting thinking i'm a 3rd through my degree and I've learnt this much, I really look forward to broadening my skills even more within my 2nd year.

No comments:

Post a Comment