Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Presentation Notes


Slide one
Right, so I’m Steph, and this is my PPD presentation. I’m going to be outlining where I was, I am now, where I want to be, how I’m going to get there and what I’ll be doing over summer.

Slide two
So where I was.
I started the beginning of this term really during the summer, when I and a team of three others participated in working for 02 Telefonica, designing and painting a 15 metre wall mural. It gave me some initial industry experience immediately, as within a few weeks we had issues with time scale, payment and the creative director herself. We had made the mistake of not writing up any form of contract, so we learnt the hard way.

The workload within the beginning of second year I too found troublesome along with the level of some people work thinking ’Jesus Christ I could never do something like that’. 

Slide three
Another element of industry work I’ve gained this year consists of taking part in the recent Reetsweet craft fair at the corn exchange, it was my first, and took a lot of preparation alongside other commitments, but it was something I really wanted to do, selling work I really liked.

At the craft fair I gave out several business cards (the design of which was on my first slide) which gave people the chance to explore my online presence. So far I have a cargo, tumblr, twitter and etsy account set up. I have purchased stephanielawson.co.uk but have yet to design it and make it live.

Slide four
Over this year I’ve really come to understand my interests and the direction my design work is taking.  Within the print module I really got an understanding and likeness for the processes, and within this became more ‘hand ons’ with my work concentrating on 3 dimensional publication work. This too can be seen across my image module, creating a range of 3 dimensional craft work. Another focus has been illustration which I have reflected in my personal identity and branding.

CTS has been very difficult for me, I really struggled with it within first year, but we got the chance to structure the essay this year, around our more personal interests within the design industry which was really beneficial in my understanding of graphic design.

Slide five
So this year, my favorite modules have consisted of image and print, down to the flexibility of my outcome, working with craft. And the YCN collaboration brief, which was frustrating at times, but the final outcome really reflects my style and approach to work, and what I am interested in, primarily retail graphics and packaging.

My least favorite modules have been the digital top ten things brief, like many other, I really struggled with After effects, much rathering put pen to paper than working on screen. But I did overcome it by primarily using illustrative material.

Product range and distribution too wasn’t a favorite of mine, I felt I lacked motivation and commitment in producing the design elements – I felt I’d written the brief against myself a little bit, wanting to focus more on campaign material than the packaging and advertisement material I resulted in producing.

Slide six
Where I want to be

After identifying my main interests throughout second year, I really want to push myself into paper craft and typography. Briefs which have contained these elements I have enjoyed and felt a lot more focused towards, so intend to push this in 3rd year. 

I feel I would benefit from selling a lot more work on Etsy rather than selling at craft fairs in 3rd year, due to the little time I feel I’ll have. 

Anotehr interest as stated earlier is retail graphics, with my illustrative background I want to possibly create briefs which focus on this, but we’ll see.

Slide Seven
How I’m going to get there

SO over the summer I’ve managed to arrange a few studio visits, and an internship with We are founded, in Newcastle.  I’ve also contacted a few designers, which I feel are that bit too far away to visit, to gain some feedback on my work, so far I’ve heard from Owen Guildersleeve, but hope to hear from more. With the selection process of design studios I’ve found a few I’m really interested in which I didn’t know about before this process.

The dissertation research over summer is something of real interest to me, and the direction I want to take my work. I’m focusing on social change, within the superstructure, looking at how large supermarkets, like Tesco, are manipulating society.

Slide Eight
Over summer I’ve also arranged a visit to Spain with Lorenzo to undertake a week looking at what design work spain has to offer, with the opportunity to improve my cultural and drawing skills.

Another commitment I’ve made is to produce a wall mural for a charity run nursery in Leeds, the idea of working for the community is a real interest to me, and as I’ve produced a wall mural before I’d like to do it again, learning from my mistakes. 

Slide nine
And that’s it, thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment