Responses to study task 1.
Identify and explain 5 reasons why you chose to study on this programme.
- I had realised my liking for graphic design quite late on in my A - levels, at first I saw it simply as another creative subject which would keep me interested. It soon became more than that, I became quite passionate about messages I was trying to convey, and began studying in depth ways to do that, rather than 'just doing it'. I soon decided doing a graphic design degree would be right for me.
- I had asked several teachers, and students for recommendations for university's offering BA (hons) graphic design degree's, as I had little knowledge of which were renowned for their degrees. I had a few mentions of Leeds College of Art, but the place was only known by teachers within the art and design field. It wasn't until after the interview I became aware it was a prestigious college in what it did and offered. I decided soon after that I REALLY wanted to get in, but it felt doubtful due to the high standard of students it wanted.
- After having the interview with Lorenzo, I realised the enthusiasm and drive which the course had, and the opportunities it would give me. I have always struggling with self drive, and felt the need for reassurance at most stages within design, but Leeds College of Art would give me more independence, as we had to be self driven to achieve anything. With this in mind, I felt by studying on this course, I would have a new ability to push myself and become a better designer for it.
- The college itself was a main contributor to my choice to study there. There is inspiration everywhere you look, it's entirely design driven, students you talk to from all the courses, can offer and share idea's as they all link into one, our overall main interest, which is art and design. With this in mind, there was a huge opportunity of collaboration, which in the long run, would give me a vast array of contacts.
- I lacked little knowledge of the working world and industry that is graphic design. The course was very driven in getting you ready for the working world, and getting you the knowledge you would need, to the extent by the time you left the course you would have the ability to set up your own business. Other courses I had looked at had little or no mention of preparing you for this.It was something I really felt important and wanted from a degree.
Identify and explain 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the programme
- As pre mentioned, I want the skills and knowledge of the working industry to be able to finish my degree being able to set up my own small business.
- I want to be able to do freelance jobs, and have the knowledge and skills to give pricing, time, materials and produce mock ups.
- I want to have the ability and confidence to apply for roles and jobs within graphic design, and not feel I lack the skills to do it.
- To know what I want to specialise in and where my skills lye as a graphic designer.
- I would like to develop a range of contacts within the industry, through work placements, experience and internships. Also from graduates, I would like to be prepared for when I graduate, myself, to actually know what I'm doing.
Identify and explain 5 skills that you think are your strengths.
- I feel I have skill within illustration and drawing, due to my very creative and art based background, I can produce scaled, detailed, and accurate drawings using an vast array of materials. Whether it be by hand, or computer I'm varied in style.
- I can analyse my work to a high standard, knowing what changes I need to make, to achieve my wanted design for myself or for a target audience.
- I have the ability to accurately transform ideas in my head, to design, or to screen.
- I feel I am quite good at printing techniques after doing several inductions and the print workshop. Theres now a wider range of outcomes I can achieve to a variety of materials.
- I feel a lot of my skills lye in software knowledge, saying this, I'm about up to standard with everyone in illustrator and photoshop. But compared to what it used to be, I feel I have achieved and know a lot!
Identify and explain 5 things that you want to improve.
- The ability to understand a brief near enough straight away, and know how to approach it. I feel I still struggle with this, it takes me a few days to get my head around it, meaning I don't work to my full capability from the start.
- I need to be more motivated and realise that staying after the day has finished is a good thing!
- I feel the need to be more ambitious in my projects and my outcomes
- To be able to time manage my projects so they make sense in my own head. I get too confused!
- To blog super hard! To keep up to date, tag and organise correctly.
- I want to improve on my skills within CTS, although i did pretty well last year, i'd really like to get down and work hard, as I felt the course very useful within my studies.
Identify and explain 5 ways that you will evaluate your progress
- To keep updating my blog with posts recording any achievements in regard to things I wanted to achieve.
- To keep logging to do lists, timetables etc to show my time management skills.
- Blogging important and useful things I learn in CTS as theres a high possibility it could be used within other projects.
- To aim to do a certain amount of hours work a day, blogging. Recording it with lists, times etc.
- To write a list of things I haven't done and would like to do, in order to be more ambitious.
Identify 5 questions that you want to find the answer to.
- What am I good at, what do I specialise in?
- What area of graphic design can I see myself going into?
- Will I be able to gain a 1st in a brief? I really want to !!
- How do you price up a job?
- Should I focus on things I know I'm good at, or take take more risks?
Comments made:
What do you want to do in the future where do you want to take it?
What sort of business are you looking to develop- your own studio, or something like a shop/educational?
Response:
I want to get much experience within a range of fields within graphic design, working for an array of companies I feel will do just that. By doing so I think i'll be able to understand what I'm best at and most like. With this, I want to get into my interested field, gain contacts, experience and a great knowledge and understanding, enough to set up my own studio or store, which, I'm not sure of yet.
Saturday, 24 September 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What do you want to do in the future where do you want to take it?
ReplyDeleteReally interesting finding out a bit more about you and your practice Steph! What sort of business are you looking to develop- your own studio, or something like a shop/educational?
ReplyDelete